CNAME and other data -vs- could not find NS and/or SOA records

phil-news-nospam at ipal.net phil-news-nospam at ipal.net
Thu Jun 3 18:04:36 UTC 2004

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 22:23:40 +0100 Jim Reid <jim at rfc1035.com> wrote:

|    phil> But it needs to be done.
|
| No it doesn't. You may think so. But nobody else seem to agree with
| you. If you disagree, write up a draft and submit it to the IETF. If
| they like it, I will be delighted to admit you were right and I was
| wrong.

Should that draft include a solution, or will they figure out a solution
themselves?

If it requires a solution, then we are back to this thread with me trying
out some solutions.  Constructive suggestions welcome.

| There's clearly no point continuing this discussion. You don't
| understand why your suggestion is stupid and unworkable. You won't
| listen when this is repeatedly explained to you. You don't even seem
| to appreciate your idea has a massive impact on the world's installed
| base of DNS implementations.

When people repeatedly say it won't work, in contradiction with my own
observations, without applicable details to show where a failure would
exist where my observations were incomplete, then they are not adding
to resolving this.

The only detailed answer I saw in this whole thread appeared to be
answering what I later found to be someone else's somewhat related
question (but they wanted to include A and/or AAAA records with the
CNAME record, and I don't).