DNS issue in Java - Need help

David Botham DBotham at OptimusSolutions.com
Wed Jun 2 11:51:32 UTC 2004

bind-users-bounce at isc.org wrote on 05/28/2004 10:04:29 AM:
> hi
>  We are having our network built on DNS server.let us assume DNS entry
> for one of the PC is removed where the application (server) is
> running.Im trying to connect the client from another PC(windows) by
> giving ip address(say http://192.x.y.z:9090),the client hangs and the
> process is very very slow.I want to know whether "providing the DNS
> entry of the server PC (where application is running) in DNS server"
> is the only possible solution??
>  My application is based on Java.When the same kind of application
> built in C is connected i dont see any issue connecting from windows
> PC.Is this a known issue in Java?? When i calculated the time taken
> for the foll process,in windows it takes around 4 sec,but in linux it
> takes around 40 ms only.
>   "InetAddress.getByName(ipaddress)).getHostName()"

I am not a hardcore programmer, however, that call looks an awful lot like
a "reverse" lookup.  In other words, if there is no PTR RR for "ipaddress"
in the domain name space, you will experience a timeout delay while the
resolver tries to find the PTR RR.

hth,

Dave...