SPF records for subdomain

Len Conrad LConrad at Go2France.com
Wed Jul 14 15:22:33 UTC 2004

>I have delegated a subdomain to a user who has asked me to do the following:
>Add a CNAME record in my parent domain pointing to his mail server.

why? ( but I don't really care)

rather than give us a "word problem" to solve, please show the RRs you want
us to review.  Less ambiguous for us and less typing for you.

>  Then had
>an SPF record in my parent domain which points to this same CNAME record.

see above

>First, isn't this syntax incorrect?

see above

> From what I've read, it is. Also, I
>don't have any other SPF records for my parent domain, wouldn't it be
>dangerous to add one such record

"one such record?  see above

>pointing to his mail server without adding
>any records for all outgoing mail servers in my parent domain?

Avoid CNAMEs, they are probably screwed up more often than they are used
correctly.   and it sounds like you're stepping into the screwed up category.

Len