SPF records for subdomain

Chip Mefford cpm at well.com
Wed Jul 14 14:29:15 UTC 2004

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004, Michele Chubirka wrote:

> I have delegated a subdomain to a user who has asked me to do the following:
> Add a CNAME record in my parent domain pointing to his mail server. Then had
> an SPF record in my parent domain which points to this same CNAME record.
> First, isn't this syntax incorrect? From what I've read, it is. Also, I
> don't have any other SPF records for my parent domain, wouldn't it be
> dangerous to add one such record pointing to his mail server without adding
> any records for all outgoing mail servers in my parent domain?

The CNAME may not help.

For my own mail servers, and many others I know, I need a valid
A, PTR and MX record. And they all need to resolve properly.

If this is a true subdelgation (the customer runs their
own dns servers)

Please see; RFC 2317

http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2317.html

If you are handling their dns services, then they will
need those records.