packet too big

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Fri Jul 9 22:53:55 UTC 2004

> Michael Varre wrote:
> > > I noticed that when using my name servers as a resolver I cannot get
> > > to several yahoo sites.  I dug in and noticed a message is getting
> > > logged on the firewall that the packet is over 512 bytes (this is the
> > > answer packet).
> > > The answer seems to be coming directly from yahoo's name servers. I
> > > have included captures.  One is from an answer I receive from
> > > roadrunner ns and the other is from one of my resolvers.  There is
> > > clearly more data at the end of mine, however I have no clue why it is
> > > there from my server rather than others.
> > >

> > > Any ideas on this problem would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!
>
> As you have noticed this is a firewall issue and is best addressed
> at that point in the chain. On my PIX we do this
>
> 	fixup protocol dns maximum-length 1024

	I suggest that you make this

		fixup protocol dns maximum-length 4096

	as named advertises a 4k UDP buffer.  The point of the
	control is to allow you to set the firewall to match what
	your nameservers are advertising.  The current default
	and recommended size is 4096.

	RFC 2671:   Extension Mechanisms for DNS (EDNS0)

9.3:
1432.   [func]          The advertised EDNS UDP buffer size can now be set
                        via named.conf (edns-udp-size).

8.4:
1534.   [func]          The advertised EDNS UDP buffer size can now be set
                        via named.conf (edns-udp-size).

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC