Reverse DNS and mail

User, Public public at seajay.com
Thu Jan 8 18:54:39 UTC 2004

Hi Mike,
When a mail is sent, the sending server looks for an MX record for the
destination domain in DNS, and will open a connection to that IP address
to send the mail.  It is up to the receiving server to allow reception
of that mail depending if it is configured to receive mail for that
domain.  You can have hundreds, or even thousands, of domains configured
to be received on one mail server, with one IP address.  Each domain has
an MX record pointing to the same single address. =20

I think you are getting confused between mail clients/servers, and
forward/reverse DNS. =20

Christopher P. Jenkins, Senior Consultant

Concordant, Inc.

P:  508-820-3080

F:  508-820-4367

C:  508-241-7415