Firewall DNS reverse- forward lookup

Roger Ward roger.ward at national-net.com
Thu Jan 1 16:07:18 UTC 2004

You are thinking backwards.  It is reverse-forward, not
forward-reverse-forward that matters.

The reverse lookup's hostname must match a forward lookup for that IP.
Our mail servers, for instance, are mx1.mail.hostname.com, etc.  The round
robin hostname for them is mx-rr.mail.hostname.com (and we have mx1 mx2
and mx3 sitting as round robin entries underneath that DNS record).

I don't use your firewall, but I have run across software which blocks
based on broken dns.

Make sure the PTR record for the IP address also has an A record with the
SAME IP address.

-Roger