master nameserver answering non-authoritative -- fedora core 1

Cornishe cornishe at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 6 08:28:38 UTC 2004

I'm posting this to hopefully help the next one of me. ;-)

After the default install of bind on fedora core 1, i could not get
named responding authoritatively for any zone it was a master of.

Well, my knowledge of linux goes as far as administering the 4
nameservers we have which are still on Seawolf (RH7.1), and everything
lived in /etc and /var/named.

Fedora core 1, and I imagine most of the current *nix platforms, by
default runs named now within a chroot() jail. This is an added level
of security that I'm sure others here could explain. When doing this
though, all files must be placed in /var/named/chroot/etc and
/var/named/chroot/var/named .

again, PLACE YOUR FILES IN /var/named/chroot/etc and
/var/named/chroot/var/named.

Man, what a pain that was figuring out. Hopefully i dont get 100
flames here. And even better, I hope someone with my level (or less)
of linux experience finds this useful as I couldnt find any
information and I won't get into how i figured it out.

Cheers!

-A