Reserved Second-Level-Domains for Country-Code-TDLs

Sam Wilson Sam.Wilson at ed.ac.uk
Thu Feb 5 13:45:17 UTC 2004

In article <bvrisf$9kk$1 at sf1.isc.org>, Simon Waters
<Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Arsen V. wrote:
> >
> > I would like to find a list of the same for other ccTDLs that have
> > segmented the top level domain of that country into specific second
> > level domains.
> I've not seen such a list.
>
> "co" as in "co.uk" sometimes becomes "com" (e.g. "com.ua")
>
> I've not seen an edu.uk - but ac.uk, and "ac" does crop up elsewhere.
>
> UK TLD allows zone transfer.
>
> 'dig @ns1.nic.uk uk axfr'
>
> A bit of cutting and piping later for the UK gives the SLDs.
>
> ac
> bl *
> british-library *
> co
> gov
> icnet *
> jet *
> ltd
> me
> mod ?(Ministry of Defence - roughly equivalent to the  DoD in the US)
> national-engineering-laboratory *
> national-library-scotland *
> nel *
> net
> nhs *
> nic
> nls *
> org
> orgn
> parliament
> plc
> police
> sch
>
> * likely IMHO to be if not unique to the UK, specific to the UK. Some
> other countries have Ministries of Defence, some may even have a
> National Health Service (NHS), although the NHS post-dates most of the
> empire.

All the ones marked * are historical anomalies, mostly from a pre-DNS
naming system (which had two names for every entity, whence
bl/british-library, nel/national-engineering-laboratory and so on.
orgn.uk is another anomaly but I don't know how it came up.  You can
find the current non-anomalous *.uk domains at
<http://www.nic.uk/SecondLevelDomains/AboutSecondLevelDomains/AboutSecon
dLevelDomains.html>

Sam