bind finds external names but not local

Kae Verens kverens at webworks.ie
Thu Feb 5 15:59:07 UTC 2004

I have a small network of about ten computers in a 192.168.1.x network.
The network uses 192.168.1.254 as a gateway to the Internet.

We call the local machines *.im - the one I'm typing on is called
winbox1.im, for example, and the DNS server is called ls1.im.

We use ls1.im as the internal DNS server, which should poll through
192.168.1.254 when it doesn't know the answer.

The problem is that the polling happens at all time - it never returns
any local names. For example, if I dig for ls1.im, I receive this reply:

[root at ls1 named]# dig ls1.im

; <<>> DiG 9.2.1 <<>> ls1.im
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 22300
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;ls1.im.                                IN      A

;; Query time: 2 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.1.2#53(192.168.1.2)
;; WHEN: Thu Feb  5 15:58:14 2004
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 24

That's when I run the search on the actual ls1.im machine!

Relevant files can be found at http://contactjuggling.org/named/ - the
named.* files are located in the /etc/ directory of the server, and the
others are in /var/named/

The server is running what was RH7.2, but has been upgraded to about 9.0

Kae