TLD Resolving Woes

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Dec 7 02:33:41 UTC 2004

salvador peralta wrote:

>Hi folks,
>
>I've recently migrated from an ISP that handled my DNS services to one
>that does not.  I've muddled my way to a semi-working configuration, but
>have basically hit a roadblock, and was wondering if someone can help me
>get to a proper configuration.
>
>Basically, I want to set up primary and secondary DNS and MX for my
>domain, on ns1.progressivetrail.org and ns2.progressivetrail.org.
>
>The configuration that I have set up will resolve basically any wildcarded
>second-level domains (e.g., scoobydoo.progressivetrail.org), but not the
>tld, progressivetrail.org by itself.
>
>How do I need to modify this configuration so that progressivetrail.org
>will resolve?
>
>; zone file for progressivetrail.org
>;
>$TTL 3D
>@       IN      SOA     ns1.progressivetrail.org.
>root.progressivetrail.org. (
>                        200303301          ; serial#
>                        3600            ; refresh, seconds
>                        3600            ; retry, seconds
>                        3600            ; expire, seconds
>                        3600 )          ; minimum, seconds
>;
>
>        NS      ns1             ; Inet Address of nameserver
>progressivetrail.org.    MX      10 mail        ; Primary Mail Exchanger ;
>localhost       A       127.0.0.1
>jefferson       A       67.19.14.187
>ns2             A       67.19.14.188
>mail            CNAME   jefferson
>ns1             CNAME   jefferson
>www             CNAME   jefferson
>*               CNAME   jefferson

Add an A record for progressivetrail.org. Currently you have none.

Note that it is illegal for an NS to point to a CNAME. You'll need to
make "ns1" an A record, or point your NS record elsewhere.

Note also that it is a requirement of the Internet Standards to have at
least 2 nameservers for a zone. If you don't have an available machine
to be a slave (preferably on a different subnet and/or in a different
physical location), you'll need to get somebody to provide that service
for you.

                     - Kevin