TLD Resolving Woes

salvador peralta salvador at progressivetrail.org
Sun Dec 5 20:30:45 UTC 2004

Hi folks,

I've recently migrated from an ISP that handled my DNS services to one
that does not.  I've muddled my way to a semi-working configuration, but
have basically hit a roadblock, and was wondering if someone can help me
get to a proper configuration.

Basically, I want to set up primary and secondary DNS and MX for my
domain, on ns1.progressivetrail.org and ns2.progressivetrail.org.

The configuration that I have set up will resolve basically any wildcarded
second-level domains (e.g., scoobydoo.progressivetrail.org), but not the
tld, progressivetrail.org by itself.

How do I need to modify this configuration so that progressivetrail.org
will resolve?

; zone file for progressivetrail.org
;
$TTL 3D
@       IN      SOA     ns1.progressivetrail.org.
root.progressivetrail.org. (
                        200303301          ; serial#
                        3600            ; refresh, seconds
                        3600            ; retry, seconds
                        3600            ; expire, seconds
                        3600 )          ; minimum, seconds
;

        NS      ns1             ; Inet Address of nameserver
progressivetrail.org.    MX      10 mail        ; Primary Mail Exchanger ;
localhost       A       127.0.0.1
jefferson       A       67.19.14.187
ns2             A       67.19.14.188
mail            CNAME   jefferson