FW: named running no ns

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Sat Aug 21 22:28:55 UTC 2004

At 11:37 PM 8/20/2004, Kelly wrote:

> >Hello Kelly,
>
> >1, We can't receive your zip file, please post the detail of each file
>(
>config and zones ) here...
> >2, Are you enabling Firewall function with your OS ?
> >3, What is your registered Domain_name ?
>
> >Edward.
>
>Edward,
>
>I am not using a firewall on the OS.  I have one on the router and it is
>set to allow port 53 to go to the box.
>
>Domain name I am trying to port is boredomhost.com
>
>Posting files below.
>
>Kelly
>
>Contents of named.conf:
>
>options {
>         directory "/var/named";
>         pid-file "/var/run/named/named.pid";
>         /*
>          * If there is a firewall between you and nameservers you want
>          * to talk to, you might need to uncomment the query-source
>          * directive below.  Previous versions of BIND always asked
>          * questions using port 53, but BIND 8.1 uses an unprivileged
>          * port by default.
>          */
>          query-source address * port 53;
>// If you need to foward to an upstream server uncomment
>// the following 4 lines and add the IP addresses of your
>// upstream or ISP DNS servers.
>// If you don't use this then any queries not resolved by this server
>// will go directly to the root level domain servers.
>//
>//      foward first;
>
>// Sets the IP and port to listen on
>         listen-on port 53 {
>                 192.168.0.102;
>                 };

You are only listening on a non-public address so nothing will ever
query this host. You also need to listen at least on 12.221.189.126
and I'd also advise 127.0.0.1. However unless you really need this
statement, I'd recommend removing it altogether.

> [...]
>         channel bindlog {
>                 file "/var/named/log/bind.default.log";
>                 severity info;
>                 };
>// create a log channel "querylog", choose the location for the log
>// and the severity level to log
>         channel querylog {
>                 file "/var/named/log/bind.query.log";
>                 severity info;
>                 };
>// Now we assign the logging categories (predefined) to use a log
>channels
>// we created above. i.e queries will use the querylog channel, placing
>the
>// logs in /var/named/log/bind.query.log and will log any event with a
>log
>// level of "info" or higher
>
>         category default { bindlog; };
>         category queries { querylog; };
>         };
>

>//
>// a caching only nameserver config
>//
>zone "." in {
>         type hint;
>         file "/var/named/named.ca";
>};
>
>zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" in {
>         type master;
>         file "/var/named/127.0.0.rev";
>};
>
>//zone "BoredomHost" {
>//        notify no;
>//        type master;
>//        file "/var/named/named.forward";
>//};
>

>zone "boredomhost.com" in {
>         notify no;
>         type master;
>         file "/var/named/boredomhost.com.hosts";
>};
>

>zone "0.168.192.in-addr.arpa" in {
>         notify no;
>         type master;
>         file "/var/named/named.0.168.192";
>};
>
>zone "189.221.12.in-addr.arpa" in {
>         notify no;
>         type master;
>         file "/var/named/named.12.221.189";
>};
>
>zone "rocktonillinois.org" in {
>         type master;
>         file "/var/named/rocktonillinois.org.hosts";
>         };
>

>Contents of boredomhost.com.hosts:
>
>$ttl 38400
>boredomhost.com.       IN      SOA     ns1.boredomhost.com.
>webmaster.boredomsoftware.com. (
>                         2004082006      ; serial, todays date + todays
>serial #
>                         10800              ; refresh, seconds
>                         3600              ; retry, seconds
>                         604800              ; expire, seconds
>                         86400 )            ; minimum, seconds
>
>boredomhost.com.        IN      NS      ns1.boredomhost.com.
>localhost.boredomhost.com       IN      A       127.0.0.1
>

>@                               IN      A       12.221.189.126
>www.boredomhost.com.    IN      A       12.221.189.126
>mail.boredomhost.com.   IN      A       12.221.189.126
>ns1.boredomhost.com.    IN      A       12.221.189.126

This domain is delegated to PARK11.SECURESERVER.NET and
PARK12.SECURESERVER.NET nameservers so it will never get
to this server. If this is wrong and you own the domain you need
to contact the registrar and get it changed. You also only have
one nameserver listed. You need two for redundancy.

Danny