Unusual/incorrect delegation?

Gary McAfee drofbytes at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 17 21:49:36 UTC 2004

Could someone give me a second opinion on this, or teach me where I'm going wrong?

When trying to resolve the name, pk-concept.de, sometimes it fails and sometimes it succeeds. When tracing the delegation of this name, it looks wrong to me, or there's something I really don't understand.

'root' delegates to the *.de TLDs. The *.de TLDs delegate to ns1.pri-dns.de and ns1.sec-dns.de, however no A records get returned for these NS records. That seems like error number 1. Shouldn't NS records always have glue A records?

> pk-concept.de

Server: a.nic.de

Address: 81.91.161.5

Name: pk-concept.de

Served by:

- ns1.pri-dns.de

pk-concept.de

- ns1.sec-dns.de

pk-concept.de

Next question, why would a name in the *.de domain (pk-concept.de) be under a name server serving the pri-dns.de domain and sec-dns.de domains? Those domains are disjoint. Is there some kind of aliasing going on here?

If you query for the A records of one of these name servers, you get NS records, but no A records again. Seems like error number 2.

> ns1.pri-dns.de

Server: a.nic.de

Address: 81.91.161.5

Name: ns1.pri-dns.de

Served by:

- ns0.ns0.de

pri-dns.de

- ns2.ns2.de

pri-dns.de

So we follow the NS records again... Why did we switch domains from pri-dns.de to ns0.de? Again, these two domains are disjoint (the ns0.de domain is not under the pri-dns.de domain). Why would you delegate to a disjoint domain space? I thought the idea was to delegate subdomains.

> ns0.ns0.de.

Server: a.nic.de

Address: 81.91.161.5

Name: ns0.ns0.de

Served by:

- ns1.denoc.de

62.116.162.62

ns0.de

- ns2.denoc.de

62.116.163.62

ns0.de

- ns3.denoc.de

62.116.129.62

ns0.de

Finally, we get an address of a name server. Switch to point to this name server and issue the original query again, and we finally get the resolution we were looking for at the beginning.

> server 62.116.162.62

(root) nameserver =A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET

(root) nameserver =B.ROOT-SERVERS.NET

(root) nameserver =C.ROOT-SERVERS.NET

(root) nameserver =D.ROOT-SERVERS.NET

(root) nameserver =E.ROOT-SERVERS.NET

(root) nameserver =F.ROOT-SERVERS.NET

(root) nameserver =G.ROOT-SERVERS.NET

(root) nameserver =H.ROOT-SERVERS.NET

(root) nameserver =I.ROOT-SERVERS.NET

(root) nameserver =J.ROOT-SERVERS.NET

(root) nameserver =K.ROOT-SERVERS.NET

(root) nameserver =L.ROOT-SERVERS.NET

(root) nameserver =M.ROOT-SERVERS.NET

Default Server: [62.116.162.62]

Address: 62.116.162.62

> pk-concept.de.

Server: [62.116.162.62]

Address: 62.116.162.62

Name: pk-concept.de

Address: 62.146.145.131

Is this messed up, or am not understanding some major concepts here?  If I trace the delegation of a name like 'ge.com.' I get the delegation chain I expect (root->TLD->ge.com domain), and by the way, I get glue A records along with the NS records.

Thanks in advance,

Gary