recursive-clients queue size & clean-up

Steinar Haug sthaug at nethelp.no
Tue Aug 17 09:31:55 UTC 2004

[Ladislav Vobr]

|   Does each slot in the recursive-client queue being clean up after the
|   timeout expire, if there is no response?  Or some slots are being
|   occupied longer, it seems to me that when I reach this limit there is no
|   really way back to stabilize bind, all cpu will be used and even if I
|   leave it over night when the traffic sometimes goes as little as 300-400
|   req/sec it will not recover and still the messages keeps coming from
|   time to time, cpu is very high (abnormal to the number of incoming
|   requests) and number of requests logged to the query.log file is almost
|   just half of what the box is really suppose to receive, (looks like bind
|   or os dropping the traffic).
|   There is no weird traffic, maybe there was a weird spike, but it should
|   recover. When I stop and start  service resumes, cpu drops, traffic
|   comes back to normal rate, not almost like half rate as it was during
|   the problem, and recursive-client queue is not overflowed.

We have seen similar problems. Our current conclusion is that BIND9 is
not very good as a recursive name server, and that it probably has bugs
involving large cache sizes and/or high query rates. We are currently
evaluating Nominum CNS, which so far seems to perform *much* better.
Nominum CNS is not free, of course...

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no