BIND Forwarding Problem on XP Startup with System Service

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Mon Aug 16 19:08:35 UTC 2004

At 06:03 PM 8/14/2004, o wrote:
>I've got BIND 9 working great as a system service on Windows XP on two
>different machines.
>
>However, when either computer is first started, it refuses to forward
>requests to my ISP's DSN servers until I restart the "ISC BIND" service.

If BIND starts before the connection it won't see the connection and you
will have
to wait for it to find the PPP interface during the next rescan, usually an
hour
later. You can have BIND depend on the service that needs to be started
first that
makes this connection.

Why are you forwarding requests to your ISP's DNS instead of doing your own
queries? There's no good reason to do so.

>It never fails to serve me my own domain entries when queried.
>
>One of these systems is running it as Local System and the other is
>running as a user named DNS.
>
>Has anyone had this problem before?  Perhaps a conflict with some other
>XP service?  I wouldn't ask if I hadn't already scoured Google, but I
>can't believe this isn't a common problem.

No, it's not a conflict, it just a dependency on have another service already
started. You can add the dependency in the services MMC or edit the
registry.

Danny