common zone file

Len Conrad LConrad at Go2France.com
Wed Aug 11 17:27:27 UTC 2004

>it is possible with BIND 9.2.2
>to host domain with same zone file
>
>like that
>
>zone "example.com" {type master; file "common1.db"; };
>zone "exemple2.com" {type master; file "common1.db"; };

yes, this works perfectly.  a very powerful technique for reducing zone
admin chores when zones contain the same records.  If you have more than
one group of zones, then use file common1 for group1, common2 for group2, ...

note that is only works on the zone master.  the zone slave will need a
unique name per zone backup file.

To obtain the same type of leverage within non-identical zone files but
share some records, use the control statement $INCLUDE.   common
NS,  common MX, and $TTL are the types of records amenable to $INCLUDE
treatment.

Len

http://IMGate.MEIway.com : free anti-spam gateway, runs on 1000's of sites