Dig: specifying a source port

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Wed Aug 4 18:24:58 UTC 2004

    Jason> I need to be able to specify the source port (since bind is
    Jason> configured with transfer source port 53). I know this isn't
    Jason> natively available, but I found a patch online for dig
    Jason> v9.2.2 and have seemed to be able to make it work under
    Jason> 9.2.3.

Insisting zone transfers requests use a specifc port number is dumb.
Please don't do that.

    Jason> The problem I found though is that on trying to transfer a
    Jason> second slave zone using dig from the same master IP
    Jason> address, dig complained that the address was already in
    Jason> use. This does make sense of course after I saw that the
    Jason> first connection was still open. But my question is why was
    Jason> the first connection still open?

This question isn't appropriate for bind-users. You have a network
programming problem: probably not shutting down the socket cleanly
before dig exits. Since you didn't show the code -- don't post it
here! -- it's hard for someone to tell you what might be wrong. I
suggest you run to a bookshop and get the second edition of Steven's
"UNIX Network Programming". This is the definitive text on UNIX socket
programming. And other IPC stuff...