Dig: specifying a source port

Jason Richards jrichards at gci.com
Wed Aug 4 18:04:19 UTC 2004

We host a large number of domains as a slave server. Because of some IP
address changes, I'm trying to mimic zone transfers using dig, but I need to
be able to specify the source port (since bind is configured with transfer
source port 53). I know this isn't natively available, but I found a patch
online for dig v9.2.2 and have seemed to be able to make it work under
9.2.3.

The problem I found though is that on trying to transfer a second slave zone
using dig from the same master IP address, dig complained that the address
was already in use. This does make sense of course after I saw that the
first connection was still open. But my question is why was the first
connection still open? Did I patch dig incorrectly and it should have closed
the connection, or is the connection supposed to remain open? Is this
functionality the same with named?

BTW, I'm using Solaris 8.

Thanks,

Jason A. Richards