Dynamic DNS question

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Apr 21 05:19:07 UTC 2004

Quadstone Ltd wrote:

>We are running Bind 9.2.3, ISC DHCP 3.0.1 and Samba 2.2.8a (as a domain
>controller/WINS server).
>We have laptops with 2 or 3 network interfaces - builtin ethernet, docking
>port and Wireless card.
>If we allocate a separate IP address to each interface we get problems
>with WINS as it usually doesn't change the IP address in the Samba wins.dat
>file if you say undock a laptop and start using the builtin network card.
>One suggestion is to use Dynamic DNS via DHCP.  Is it possible to use this
>to allocate fixed IP addresses on certain networks.  I.e. a laptop is
>always allocated the same IP address whatever network interface is being used?

BIND exercises no direct control over the address-assignment policies of
any DHCP product.

Now, I suppose it's theoretically possible that a DHCP product might be
able to look up the "client ID" which it receives from the client, in
DNS or some other name-to-address mapping repository, to determine an IP
address, and then use this mechanism to ensure that the same client gets
the same IP address regardless of what network interface it's using. But
in that case DNS is just (optionally) serving as a database, and no
Dynamic Update is involved. Whether or not this *theoretical* capability
exists would be almost entirely dependent on the DHCP server, so you'd
probably be best to ask a DHCP group about it.

                                 - Kevin