Is there a Word to Describe a Type of Web Server Behavior?

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Tue Apr 20 13:59:56 UTC 2004

	I occasionally get a client who has me set up a DNS entry to a
given web site and then is expecting customers to see their home page
when, in fact, all they get is the home page of the web site.  The
problem is that the server does not evaluate the URL being received in
order to determine what page to give to the connecting customer.

	Is there a name for this particular configuration of a web
server?

	In some cases, the web server in question is out-sourced to
Heaven only knows where and the more people involved, the less likely
it is that we get a satisfactory outcome.  What should the clients be
asking for or specifically looking for when they pick a site to host
their web page and want customers to see only that page and not some
ISP main page with 250 links to everything in the world with their
link buried three screens down near the bottom?

	Thank you.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
OSU Information Technology Division Network Operations Group