Incorrect nameserver address - where is it coming from?

Greg Larkin glarkin at sourcehosting.net
Thu Apr 15 20:44:27 UTC 2004

Hi all,

I used to host my DNS server and other servers at a different ISP than
I do now.  Back then, I had the hostname ns.sourcehosting.net set up
with an IP address of 65.160.204.234 and I used GraniteCanyon for my
authoritative DNS servers.  I changed colo providers and started using
Zoneedit.com for authoritative DNS server hosting.  The address of
ns.sourcehosting.net also changed to 12.160.213.43.  This switch took
place almost a year ago, I think.

Since then, there are some DNS servers out there (most of them, from
what I can tell) that still think ns.sourcehosting.net has the old
address.  My current authoritative name servers for sourcehosting.net
are:

      NS12.ZONEEDIT.COM
      NS14.ZONEEDIT.COM
      NS1.DYNI.NET
      NS.SOURCEHOSTING.NET

Using dig, I can see that the zoneedit.com and dyni.net DNS servers
have the correct IP address for ns.sourcehosting.net.  If I use dig on
the ns.sourcehosting.net machine, it thinks that the IP address is
correct.  ns.sourcehosting.net is set up as the master, and the other
3 servers are slaves to it.

However, any other DNS server that I check on the Internet seems to
have the old address for ns.sourcehosting.net:

$ dig @ns1.ezoshosting.net ns.sourcehosting.net A | grep
^ns.sourcehosting.net
ns.sourcehosting.net.   172792  IN      A       65.160.204.234

$ dig @ns.austin.ibm.com ns.sourcehosting.net A | grep
^ns.sourcehosting.net
ns.sourcehosting.net.   66383   IN      A       65.160.204.234

$ dig @ns1.jlc.net ns.sourcehosting.net A | grep ^ns.sourcehosting.net
ns.sourcehosting.net.   172793  IN      A       65.160.204.234

$ dig @ns1.granitecanyon.com ns.sourcehosting.net A | grep
^ns.sourcehosting.net
ns.sourcehosting.net.   43200   IN      A       65.160.204.234

So GraniteCanyon still has the old address, but it shouldn't matter
since I don't list it as an auth name server, I don't think.  I tried
to delete the zone from there, but it hasn't been successful yet.

My question is - where are all of the rest of the name servers that
I've queried getting the old address from?  Do I have to delete
NS.SOURCEHOSTING.NET from the WHOIS record for a while to get things
to settle down, then re-add it or something like that?

If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate it a lot!

Thank you,
Greg Larkin
----
SourceHosting.Net, LLC
The new baseline for configuration management
http://www.sourcehosting.net/