TXT RRs for $GENERATE

Will Yardley you at aredumb.com
Mon Sep 22 06:09:21 UTC 2003

I think this has been brought up before, but is there a reason BIND
doesn't support using $GENERATE with TXT records? This would make
administering dnsbls easier and cleaner, since you could do:

$GENERATE 128-211 *.$.172 A 127.0.0.2
$GENERATE 128-211 *.$.172 TXT "IP is an AOL dynamically assigned host."

instead of having to do something like:

$GENERATE 128-211 *.$.172 CNAME block
block	IN A 127.0.0.2
	IN TXT "IP is an AOL dynamically assigned host."

Also, is there a reason that $GENERATE doesn't accept a class before the
type (for instance $GENERATE 1-2 *.$.10 IN A 127.0.0.2 doesn't work)?

I imagine there's a good reason for this (and I doubt you'd be using
$GENERATE with records of classes other than "IN"), but just curious.

--
No copies, please.
To reply privately, simply reply; don't remove anything.