resolv.conf is overwriting Slackware 9.0 AND Bind 9.1.2

Bill Schoolcraft Bill at linuxcare.com
Fri Oct 24 21:46:02 UTC 2003

Johnny Giger wrote:

> My resolv.conf  is overwritig by the startup procedure. This cause problems
> with my DNS.
> On a How To's I can see that some PPP are doing that.
> /etc/resolv.conf owerting from /etc/ppp/ip-up

Well, aside from the overwriting issue and it's cause, you can make the
file "immutable" and it will not be overwritten. now if that breaks the
first process then I'm not sure what to tell you but here is the command
on linux;

chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf

To remove the lock do;

chattr -i /etc/resolv.conf

Root will not be able to write to the file while the lock is on either.

On other Unix systems the command is different, FreeBSD for instance
uses the "chflags" command instead of "chattr" which Linux uses.

--
Bill Schoolcraft        Linuxcare Client Services
650 Townsend Street     San Francisco, CA 94103

      "Simplifying Server Consolidation"