root server updates

Barry Margolin barry.margolin at level3.com
Mon Oct 20 17:16:19 UTC 2003

In article <bn14ts$6vu$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
Michael Breton  <comp-protocols-dns-bind at isc.org> wrote:
>Registrars store the DNSname/IP address for those DNS servers that are
>entered for domains registered there.  You will need to change each and
>every domain's information to update them all.

No they don't, and you shouldn't.  Before you can specify a host as a
nameserver for any domains, you have to do a separate host registration,
and that's the only place where the name->IP address is stored.  All you
should have to do is change the host registration, and this will update the
glue record for the server.

Barry Margolin, barry.margolin at level3.com
Level(3), Woburn, MA