Resolve name without FQDN

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Thu Nov 27 17:29:29 UTC 2003

Rhys McWilliams <rhys at kcc.co.za> wrote:
> Hi,

> I have gone through a lot of the lists archives trying to see if my =3D
> question has been asked and answered, and am now going squint from all =
=3D
> the reading.....

> I'm running BIND 9.2.1 on Redhat 7.3 and also running transparent proxy=
 =3D
> using Squid 2.4.

> Some of out internal users are needing to access a web site that is not=
 =3D
> on our local network.
> The URL is http://haf0gau05/index.htm  (as you can see there is no =3D
> FQDN)
> This site is used by some of our customers to log support calls that =3D
> our staff then look up on that site and action accordingly.
> The developers of the site have unfortunately used absolute URLS for =3D
> ALL the links on the site and we have no access or control over how =3D
> they setup their site. They use WINS on their side of the network but =3D
> we do not have any kind of access to their WINS server to even try do =3D
> lookup off their side.

> The problem comes in when we browse to the site and Squid tries to =3D
> resolve the name haf0gau05 and of course fails (dig also fails).

> I have tried placing the haf0gau05 name with its relevant IP in the =3D
> /etc/hosts and checked that /etc/nsswitch.conf has the line
> hosts:      files dns
> /etc/host.conf also exists and has the line
> order hosts,bind
> None of this setup made any kind of difference.....

> I then tried adding the haf0gau05 to our local domains zone file and =3D
> made sure the search line in /etc/resolv.conf had our domain on it.
> If I then did a dig with the name & the FQDN then I got a resulting IP =
=3D
> that is correct but if I leave out the FQDN I get a failed lookup.
> My PC, which is in the same domain as specified in /etc/resolv.conf =3D
> does the get a reply of the correct IP.
> But Squid of fails to resolve the name through all of this as well.

> Is it even possible to resolve without specifying a FQDN?
> If it is possible, what am I doing wrong or what do I need to do to get=
 =3D
> it to work?
> I don't mind if I have to setup a new zone file or include the entries =
=3D
> in an existing zone and get the domain search order working....

> Thanks
> ------------------------=20
> Rhys McWilliams
> Johannesburg, South Africa
> Tel: +27 11 796 1000    Fax: +27 11 796 1100
> http://www.kerridge.co.za/
> mailto:rhys at kcc.co.za

> Regards
> ------------------------=20
> Rhys McWilliams
> Network Administrator
> Kerridge Computer Company Ltd. (S.A.)
> Johannesburg, South Africa
> [...]

You have a problem, not with bind but with a vendor.

You _might_ create a workaround that could work for a while,=20
but imho you should turn around and place the problem where
it belongs: at the clueless vendor. The sooner they fix it, the
sooner will your user be able to use it.

Just say NO

--=20
Peter H=E5kanson        =20
           Sorry about my e-mail address, but i'm trying to keep spam out=
,