Resolve name without FQDN

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Thu Nov 27 13:37:51 UTC 2003

> Hi,
>
> I have gone through a lot of the lists archives trying to see if my =
> question has been asked and answered, and am now going squint from all =
> the reading.....
>
> I'm running BIND 9.2.1 on Redhat 7.3 and also running transparent proxy =
> using Squid 2.4.

	BIND 9.2.1 is old.

> Some of out internal users are needing to access a web site that is not =
> on our local network.
> The URL is http://haf0gau05/index.htm  (as you can see there is no =
> FQDN)

	Get the URL fixed, it is broken.

> This site is used by some of our customers to log support calls that =
> our staff then look up on that site and action accordingly.
> The developers of the site have unfortunately used absolute URLS for =
> ALL the links on the site and we have no access or control over how =
> they setup their site. They use WINS on their side of the network but =
> we do not have any kind of access to their WINS server to even try do =
> lookup off their side.
>
> The problem comes in when we browse to the site and Squid tries to =
> resolve the name haf0gau05 and of course fails (dig also fails).
>
> I have tried placing the haf0gau05 name with its relevant IP in the =
> /etc/hosts and checked that /etc/nsswitch.conf has the line
> hosts:      files dns
> /etc/host.conf also exists and has the line
> order hosts,bind
> None of this setup made any kind of difference.....
>
> I then tried adding the haf0gau05 to our local domains zone file and =
> made sure the search line in /etc/resolv.conf had our domain on it.
> If I then did a dig with the name & the FQDN then I got a resulting IP =
> that is correct but if I leave out the FQDN I get a failed lookup.

	Dig does not use the search list.

>> My PC, which is in the same domain as specified in /etc/resolv.conf =
> does the get a reply of the correct IP.
> But Squid of fails to resolve the name through all of this as well.

	I'm not sure if Squid uses the systems hostname lookups or
	not.  It would make sence for it to make the lookups directly.

	Anyway make sure that you have restarted Squid after modifying
	/etc/resolv.conf.

> Is it even possible to resolve without specifying a FQDN?
> If it is possible, what am I doing wrong or what do I need to do to get =
> it to work?
> I don't mind if I have to setup a new zone file or include the entries =
> in an existing zone and get the domain search order working....

	You can setup a zone called "haf0gau05" and populate it
	with the address record.  This needs to be done on all
	nameservers that Squid is using.

	zone "haf0gau05" {
		type master;
		file "haf0gau05.db";