a little DNS help

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Nov 18 23:56:52 UTC 2003

John Cesta wrote:

>On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 14:16:43 -0500, David Botham
><DBotham at OptimusSolutions.com> wrote:
>

>>[clip...]
>>

>>>I know that there are technical problems with this setup. And although
>>> this has always worked I want to make it right this next time around.
>>>
>>>1. What are the steps to creating a new DNS host?

Depends on exactly what you mean by "DNS host". Do you mean
*nameserver*? Chapter 4 of _DNS_and_BIND_ steps you through setting up a
BIND nameserver. Or, by "DNS host" do you just mean adding the name of a
host to DNS? Page 150 talks about adding A records.

>>>2. Does it matter what I name the computer?

Pages 76-78 of the _DNS_and_BIND_ book discuss hostname checking, and
give a reference to RFC 952, which defines what is or is not legal for a
hostname.

>>>3. When I create the DNS host with a particular IP does the primary IP
>>>in the computer's NIC adapter need to be the one I register or can it
>>>be one of the IPs in the NICs Advanced section?

Page 63 of the _DNS_and_BIND_ book discusses multihomed hosts briefly,
but basically yours is not even a DNS question. If you're asking "can I
use secondary IPs of an interface?" that's an OS question. Seems rather
obvious to me that if you can *configure* secondary IPs on an interface,
that you'd be able to *use* them, but then, what do I know about
whatever unnamed OS you happen to be running...?

>>>4. If the DNS host is going to be named: dns.newdnshost.com what is
>>>the zone file configuration or is there one?

Again, I refer you to page 150 of the _DNS_and_BIND_ book, which talks
about adding records for hosts to zone files.

>>>5. Can I name the DNS host the same domain name as I use on the server
>>>as a Web site or is that  bad idea?

I'm having a little trouble parsing that question. Are you asking
whether it's a good idea to run a nameserver on the same box as a
webserver? The first part of chapter 8 of the _DNS_and_BIND_ book talks
about some of the performance/availability/security issues you should
consider in deciding where and how many nameservers you should run for
your domain(s).

>>I think the best course of action would be:
>>
>>Obtain and read a copy of "DNS and BIND, 4th Edition, Paul Albitz & Criket
>>Liu".  Keep this book on your shelf and consult it often.  It is your
>>friend.
>>
>>Also, you may want to get a copy of the DNS and BIND Cookbook, Cricket
>>Liu, et al.
>>

>Go that book dave. I've had it for years. Doesn't really explain,
>though,  the basic part that I've outlined above. Thanks

I think you need to actually crack the _DNS_and_BIND_ book again and
read it more carefully this time...

- Kevin