Details of Propagation

Whizkid25468 whizkidxxxxx at oceanfree.net
Thu Jul 24 17:08:57 UTC 2003

<phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu> wrote in message news:bfns18$l1p$1 at sf1.isc.org...
> Whizkid25468 <whizkidxxxxx at oceanfree.net> wrote:
> > Just a few quick questions from a newbie:
>
> > When are the root servers (supposed to be) updated? I keep hearing
5am/pm
> > EST, but each one is accompanied by at least one 'I'm not sure'.
>
> root-servers are updated seldom. Normally when a new country-tld is made.
>
> TLD servers ( sa .com server) is another matter. Are you thinking of
> a particulat TLD ?

I am, com, I meant to write com's servers (that was a, uhh, keyboard error,
yeah, keyboard), but knowing about the root servers can't hurt /;-)<<. So
when are com's servers supposed to be updated?

> > What's actually involved in registering a domain name, between the point
the
> > registrar approves and the point where the root servers get told to add
the
> > appropriate delegation records in the next update? I've read a few
things
> > suggestive of seperate delays, to do with notifying various
organizations or
> > something, but nothing particularly ... understandable.
>
> Depends on the TLD

Well, com is the only one I've used thus far, since I have all of about 5
domain names. Know what the story is with that one?

> > Are there differences in delays between changing a domain name's name
> > servers, registering a new domain name, and registering a new name
server,
> > and if so *why*?
> > My name servers took three days to get their glue records after
> > registration, but when I change a domain name's nameservers, the root
> > servers usually catch on shortly after the com zone's SOA serial#
> > increments. There's obviously a difference, but I don't know exactly
what it
> > is.
>
> I guess better planning would nullify random delays with setting up new
domain

> > Finally, I've been *unreliably* informed that propagation time from the
> > point of view of using your ISP's nameserver can depend on the size of
your
> > ISP, the type of nameserver you're on, and how often it's *set to
update*.
> > Isn't propagation (once the root servers update) purely dependant on the
> > TTLs of the affected records? The size of the ISP shouldn't matter!
>
> True.

Oh good, my entire understanding of the DNS isn't completly off the mark
then /:-)<<.

> > Sorry if these've been asked before, but I've been looking for a couple
of
> > days, and can't find anything concrete, and I haven't found the answers
in
> > I realise that these aren't exactly questions on BIND, but if it wasn't
for
> > discovering BIND and installing it, I wouldn't have these questions, and
the
> > lack of answers woudn't be annoying me right now. And this looks like a
good
> > place to find people who know what they are talking about.
>
> DNS has a built-in resistance to changes (caching of data) which is there
by
> purpose : reduce load AND increase performance.

Unless you use Dynamic DNS /:-\<<. A component of that is to turn the TTL
down really low on your records, isn't it?