Details of Propagation

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Thu Jul 24 05:42:45 UTC 2003

Whizkid25468 <whizkidxxxxx at oceanfree.net> wrote:
> Just a few quick questions from a newbie:

> When are the root servers (supposed to be) updated? I keep hearing 5am/pm
> EST, but each one is accompanied by at least one 'I'm not sure'.

root-servers are updated seldom. Normally when a new country-tld is made.

TLD servers ( sa .com server) is another matter. Are you thinking of
a particulat TLD ?

> What's actually involved in registering a domain name, between the point the
> registrar approves and the point where the root servers get told to add the
> appropriate delegation records in the next update? I've read a few things
> suggestive of seperate delays, to do with notifying various organizations or
> something, but nothing particularly ... understandable.

Depends on the TLD

> Are there differences in delays between changing a domain name's name
> servers, registering a new domain name, and registering a new name server,
> and if so *why*?
> My name servers took three days to get their glue records after
> registration, but when I change a domain name's nameservers, the root
> servers usually catch on shortly after the com zone's SOA serial#
> increments. There's obviously a difference, but I don't know exactly what it
> is.

I guess better planning would nullify random delays with setting up new domain

> Finally, I've been *unreliably* informed that propagation time from the
> point of view of using your ISP's nameserver can depend on the size of your
> ISP, the type of nameserver you're on, and how often it's *set to update*.
> Isn't propagation (once the root servers update) purely dependant on the
> TTLs of the affected records? The size of the ISP shouldn't matter!

True.

> Sorry if these've been asked before, but I've been looking for a couple of
> days, and can't find anything concrete, and I haven't found the answers in
> I realise that these aren't exactly questions on BIND, but if it wasn't for
> discovering BIND and installing it, I wouldn't have these questions, and the
> lack of answers woudn't be annoying me right now. And this looks like a good
> place to find people who know what they are talking about.

DNS has a built-in resistance to changes (caching of data) which is there by
purpose : reduce load AND increase performance.

--
Peter Håkanson