BIND 9.2.1-1 issues w/ BIND 8.3.3

Nu-Designs IT Department alerts at nu-designs.com
Fri Jan 31 23:29:11 UTC 2003

At 09:58 AM (+1100) 2/1/2003 (Saturday), Mark.Andrews at isc.org wrote:

>         Your nameservers don't exist.

Yes, they do since I received three copies of this message, one to each
user list, and one to my email address -- in addition to receiving the
list-distributed copies of my own message.

>         P.S. It helps if you ask for replies at an address this is
>         *not* in the troubled zone.  I've Bcc the admin contact.

Did your outbound message to me bounce?  Because we are having no troubles
with email.

Even the dial-up customer in question can email us when he
_used_our_mail_server_as_his_relay_.  I received email from him at 11:52
this morning when he emailed me the screen capture of his winipcfg
settings.  His domain uses us as his name servers.  He can get to his own
website just fine -- which is on the exact same machine, with the exact
same IP address, as our secure server that he CAN'T get to.

"Riddle me this, Batman."

We've been using these names servers for weeks and the entire company has
been receiving email since the name server change, with no problems.

All of our customers using email on these servers, whose domains are hosted
through these names servers, are having no problems.

I have access to shell accounts on several difference machines that have
nothing to do with work, on completely different networks, in two different
states and all of them can see us just fine.

We've asked people in IRC groups and geek-friends around to world, and
everyone who tried/replied, can see us just fine.

So you make the second person in the entire world who can't see us.  For
whatever that's worth and for whatever that means.

These are the results of dig when executed from my personal ISP shell account:

$ dig ns1.nu-designs.com

; <<>> DiG 9.2.1 <<>> ns1.nu-designs.com
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;ns1.nu-designs.com.            IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
ns1.nu-designs.com.     165021  IN      A       64.84.20.85

;; Query time: 5 msec
;; SERVER: 216.231.41.2#53(216.231.41.2)
;; WHEN: Fri Jan 31 15:14:32 2003
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 52

$ dig @ns1.nu-designs.com nu-designs.com

; <<>> DiG 9.2.1 <<>> @ns1.nu-designs.com nu-designs.com
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;nu-designs.com.                        IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
nu-designs.com.         60      IN      A       66.33.47.35

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
nu-designs.com.         60      IN      NS      ns1.nu-designs.com.
nu-designs.com.         60      IN      NS      ns2.nu-designs.com.

;; Query time: 96 msec
;; SERVER: 64.84.20.85#53(ns1.nu-designs.com)
;; WHEN: Fri Jan 31 15:15:00 2003
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 84