BIND 9.2.1-1 issues w/ BIND 8.3.3

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Fri Jan 31 22:58:55 UTC 2003

> Has anyone heard of any "undocumented features" regarding BIND 8.3.3 and
> BIND 9.2.1-1 talking to each other?
>
> Here's my problem:  we have an ecommerce customer whose dialup pushes an IP
> of a BIND 8.3.3 DNS server.  This 8.3.3 server (and the other 8.3.3 servers
> at this ISP) cannot see anything in our domain, including our secure server.
>
> Their BIND 4.9.3 and 4.9.4 servers, on a completely different
> subnet/backbone, CAN see us.
>
> EVERY OTHER bleedin' DNS server in the world, that we've had net.friends
> test for us, can see us.
>
> The ISP is saying it's our fault for having 9.2.1-1 and not 9.2.2rc2 and
> that "there must be a compatability issue".  And that "these are the DNS
> servers for ALL our dial-up customers.  If anyone else was having problems,
> our phones would be ringing off the hook."
>
> We, of course, think there's just something wrong with their servers since
> the only DNS server that can't see us is theirs.
>
> Now here's the sticker: our DNS server is also our web server that serves
> up several hundred virtual domains.  His server can bring up THOSE
> sites/records, just not OUR domain.
>
> To put it nicely: WTF!?
>
> Oh, and to make matters worse, this dial-up customer refuses to let us give
> him a dialup number/username/password to a different ISP that will push a
> DNS IP that can see us so we can "prove" that the problem isn't on our
> end.  ARG.
>
> If anybody still has BIND 8.3.3 running and is feeling generous, please see
> if you can dig secure.nu-designs.com and get an A record back.
>
> Please CC: any follow-ups to me at the above address.    Thanks.
>
> --JRB

	Your nameservers don't exist.

	Mark

	P.S. It helps if you ask for replies at an address this is
	*not* in the troubled zone.  I've Bcc the admin contact.

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> ns1.nu-designs.com @64.84.20.85
; (1 server found)
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;	ns1.nu-designs.com, type = A, class = IN

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
nu-designs.com.		1M IN SOA	ns1.nu-designs.com. hostmaster.nu-designs.com. (
					2003013100	; serial
					8H		; refresh
					2H		; retry
					1W		; expiry
					1M )		; minimum

;; Total query time: 230 msec
;; FROM: drugs.dv.isc.org to SERVER: 64.84.20.85  64.84.20.85
;; WHEN: Sat Feb  1 09:54:46 2003
;; MSG SIZE  sent: 36  rcvd: 83

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at isc.org