Configuring Bind.

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Tue Jan 28 05:42:35 UTC 2003

	Why dosn't anyone read their log files before posting here?

> Hello All,
>
> I am configuring a DNS server for our LAN, this is what I put in my /etc/named.
> conf for the domain abc.net
>
> The host name is server.abc.net
>
> zone "abc.net" {
>         type master;
>         notify no;
>         file "iwave.net";
> };
>
> This is my zone file for abc.net
>
> $TTL 3D
> @       IN      SOA     ns.server.abc.net. manjunath.server.abc. (
>                         199802151       ; serial, todays date + todays serial #
>                         8H              ; refresh, seconds
>                         2H              ; retry, seconds
>                         4W              ; expire, seconds
>                         1D )            ; minimum, seconds
> ;
>                 NS      ns              ; Inet Address of name server
>                 MX      10 server.abc.net.     ; Primary Mail Exchanger
> ;
> localhost       A       127.0.0.1
>
> abc.net         A       192.168.2.37

	I suspect that you want "abc.net. A 192.168.2.37" here.

> ns                A       192.168.2.37
>
> mail            CNAME   192.168.2.37

	I suspect that you want "mail CNAME ns" or "mail A 192.168.2.37".
	You have "mail.abc.net. CNAME 192.168.2.37.abc.net." once it is
	fully qualified.

> gw              A       192.168.2.254
>
> www           CNAME   ns
>
> mail           CNAME   192.168.2.37
>                  MX      10 server.abc.net

	You cannot have a CNAME and a MX record with the same owner name.
	This would have been logged.  Also see the previous comment.

> ftp             CNAME   192.168.2.37
>                 MX      10 server.abc.net

	See previous comments.

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at isc.org