Configuring Bind.

Manjunath H N manjunath at iwavesystems.com
Tue Jan 28 05:27:54 UTC 2003

Hello All,

I am configuring a DNS server for our LAN, this is what I put in my /etc/named.conf for the domain abc.net

The host name is server.abc.net

zone "abc.net" {
        type master;
        notify no;
        file "iwave.net";
};

This is my zone file for abc.net

$TTL 3D
@       IN      SOA     ns.server.abc.net. manjunath.server.abc. (
                        199802151       ; serial, todays date + todays serial #
                        8H              ; refresh, seconds
                        2H              ; retry, seconds
                        4W              ; expire, seconds
                        1D )            ; minimum, seconds
;
                NS      ns              ; Inet Address of name server
                MX      10 server.abc.net.     ; Primary Mail Exchanger
;
localhost       A       127.0.0.1

abc.net         A       192.168.2.37

ns                A       192.168.2.37

mail            CNAME   192.168.2.37

gw              A       192.168.2.254

www           CNAME   ns

mail           CNAME   192.168.2.37
                 MX      10 server.abc.net

ftp             CNAME   192.168.2.37
                MX      10 server.abc.net

But now if I say dig abc.net axfr
I get this error

; <<>> DiG 9.2.1 <<>> iwave.net axfr
;; global options:  printcmd
; Transfer failed.

Any help on this is highly appreciated.

   TIA
Manjunath H N

DISCLAIMER:

This e-mail and any attachment (s) is for authorised use by the intended recipient (s) only. It may contain proprietary material, confidential information and/or be subject to the legal privilege of iWave Systems Technologies Private Limited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the originator immediately. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that you are strictly prohibited from retaining, using, copying, alerting or disclosing the content of this message. Thank you for your co-operation.