[Newbie] BIND8 Configuration

Silvio Wangler swangler at swissonline.ch
Mon Jan 27 22:13:33 UTC 2003

Hello Kevin,

First of all thank for your hints.
The reverse lookup works now. --> host 10.10.10.1 --> sun.universe
But if I try a forward lookup --> host sun or host sun.universe it
always receive <host not found>.
Btw. I am able access my ISPs DNS over IP Masquerading.

Any idea? Where is the problem? Thanks for your support.

Best regards

Silvio

PS: see listings below.

Kevin Darcy wrote:

> Presumably the leading triple dots in your hints file above are just
> artifacts of some mail-server munging...
>
> You shouldn't specify "forwarders first" if you have no direct
> connectivity to the Internet, which the evidence you've shown so far
> suggests is the case.
>
> Also, 127.0.0.1/16 is bogus. Either you should specify 127.0/16 (extra
> octets can be specified if they are all 0), if you want to allow the
> whole 16-bit range, or you should drop the "/16" altogether, i.e. just
> "127.0.0.1", or use the special keyword "localhost", to allow only the
> loopback address.

[/var/etc/universe.zone]
@               IN SOA          sun.universe. root.sun.universe. (
                                 1               ; serial (d. adams)
                                 8D              ; refresh
                                 2H              ; retry
                                 2W              ; expiry
                                 1D )            ; minimum

                 IN NS           sun.universe.

localhost       IN A            127.0.0.1
sun             IN A            10.10.10.1
blackhole       IN A            10.10.10.113
asteroid        IN A            10.10.10.20
earth           IN A            10.10.10.10
moon            IN A            10.10.10.11
entrance        IN A            10.10.10.111

[/var/etc/10.10.10.zone]
@               IN SOA          sun.universe.   root.sun.universe. (
                                 42              ; serial (d. adams)
                                 1D              ; refresh
                                 2H              ; retry
                                 1W              ; expiry
                                 2D )            ; minimum

                 IN NS           sun.universe.

1               IN PTR          sun.universe.
10              IN PTR          earth.universe.
11              IN PTR          moon.universe.
20              IN PTR          asteroid.universe.
111             IN PTR          entrance.universe.
113             IN PTR          blackhole.universe.

; Alias adresser:
;
intra           IN   CNAME      sun.universe.

[/etc/named.conf]
options {
         directory "/var/named";
         forwarders {