DNS Question

Tim Maestas tmaestas at dnsconsultants.com
Tue Feb 25 06:04:48 UTC 2003

Client machines generally have no concept of whether a given nameserver is
a master or slave for a zone.  If a client resolver does not query it's
second (or third) listed DNS server upon a timed out query to it's first
listed nameserver, then it is broken, and you should open a bug report
with the vendor.  Whether the box is pingable or not should have no
bearing.

As far as implications of running multiple masters?  How do you keep the
data synchronized from one master to the other?   Where is the
authoritative source of data?  Adding a second master would not make a
difference in the problem you describe.

If your DNS process does exit, there are methods to restart it, depending
on what OS you are running.  See nanny.pl in the contrib dir of the BIND
distribution for restarting on unix.

-Tim