DNS Question

Bruce Embrey embrey at hermes.hood.edu
Tue Feb 25 05:55:35 UTC 2003

Currently I have 5 DNS servers (1 master-BIND 8.3 and 4
slaves - BIND 9.2). Do you see any implications for running
2 masters within the same domain? Client machines have dns
entries for 1 master and 1 slave. If the dns service stops
resolving the client machines do not rollover to their
secondary dns.

My observations have been as long as the dns server is
pingable, the client pc will not try to contact their
secondary dns. If my dns service exits unexpectedly is it
possible to have it auto restart?

Bruce Embrey

Bruce Edward Embrey : VMS Systems Manager
Campus Email Admin : UNIX / Linux Administrator
Hood College : embrey at hood.edu : Phone (301)696-3927