Questions about BIND statistics (long)

Nate Campi nate at campin.net
Wed Feb 19 18:34:29 UTC 2003

On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 06:35:15PM +0100, Joaquin J. Domens wrote:

> this will cause 365.3 q/sec. which is a total mess .......

That's easy for BIND8 even on your UltraSparcIIi CPUs. I use the same
hardware for production nameservice.

> According to O'reilly's book (not the last edition) "If the number you
> come up with for your server seems out of line, look at = which hosts
> are making all the queries and decide if it makes sense for them to be
> making all those queries"

You need to enable host statistics in order to see the information the
book is talking about. BEWARE: it generally takes too much memory to be
advisable on a busy nameserver like yours.

My advice: enable host-statistics on only one nameserverserver for 5 or
10 minutes, dump the stats and just use the stats from this short period
of time.  Your load balanced nameservice should be ok and you should
have enough stats to work with.

Email me offline if you need further help, since we work for the same
company (though on different continents).
--
Nate Campi    http://www.campin.net