Questions about DNS performance

Edvard Tuinder bindlist at lunytune.nl
Tue Feb 18 16:25:53 UTC 2003

According to Joaquin J. Domens:
> What do you mean by this ?
> Do it looks normal with the outputs I gave you ?
> I mean with this statistics, is it normal to have a 60% CPU usage?
> The servers have configured just the normal zones
> 127.0.0
> localhost
> and the root cache

I think what Simon was suggesting is to look at the queries your servers
are performing, not at the estabilished connections or such.

You can toggle the querylogging with 'rndc querylog' which will result in
bind dumping all queries via syslog. You can then check which queries are
performed continiously and go further from there.

Furthermore it might be smart to make your caching servers stealth secondaries
for your own (primary) domain. So clients requesting an address within your
own domain will be answered authoritatively without consulting the 'known'
authoritative nameservers. Depending on the mix of queries performed, this
may result in significant performance gain.

-Ed