changing nameservers - NS records

BLINCO, Ken Ken.BLINCO at suncorp.com.au
Thu Feb 13 00:36:33 UTC 2003

Hi,

This is not really a bind question - but more a dns question (hope that's
ok)

If a domain name (e.g. domain.com.au) is registered with the following
details:

domain.com.au
nameserver: nameserver1.domain.com.au
nameserver ip:  203.10.10.10.

The host nameserver1.domain.com.au sits on in our dmz with the ip
203.10.10.10.  Suppose we wanted to replace this nameserver with a new
machine.  This machine needs to be called nameserver2.domain.com.au (for
other reasons).  During the cutover period, would there be a problem if we
just changed uplugged namerserver1.domain.com.au and gave
nameserver2.domain.com.au the ip address 203.10.10.10?

As far as routing of requests is concerned, it should be fine.  What I'm
concerned about is whether the fact that the hostname and the NS record for
domain.com.au in the zone files being served is now nameserver2 rather than
nameserver1.  The delegation record states nameserver1 has the authoritative
nameserver.  Will this affect how queries from the Internet are handled?

The alternative to doing this is to change the delegation I realise.

Ken

The contents of this message are the views of the Author and do not necessarily reflect the views of SUNCORP METWAY LTD  ABN 66 010 831 722.

The content of this e-mail, including attachments is a confidential communication between the Suncorp Metway Group and the intended addressee. Any unauthorised use of the contents is expressly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error please contact the sender immediately and then delete the message and any attachment(s).

http://www.suncorp.com.au