Bind 8.3.4 vs Pix 6.2.2 (Revisited)

Shawn Wallis swallis at ittc.ukans.edu
Thu Feb 6 15:44:42 UTC 2003

I have read through the list, and noticed that there have been some
previous issues with Bind and Cisco Pix firewalls.

However, the problem I am currently seeing today, doesn't appear to be
exactly the same issue.  Therefore, I have a several questions regarding
other people's setup with Pix/Bind.

A little background on my problem:

It appears when I request MX records from certain sites, the
response is delayed.  It is delayed in such a fashion, that a normal
nslookup fails.  However, after the normal nslookup fails, the response
returns, and is cached on the server.  Therefore, if I look it up once,
and a second time, my server doesn't request the data again, and it
responds immediately.

The NAT setup is 1:1.. So, I don't believe there should be any trouble.
UDP 53 allowed both by inbound and outbound.

On some occasions, the response doesn't return immediately, or doesn't
cache.  I am guessing this is a timing issue, but I am not concerned with
this..

The site in particular I am dealing with is the MX record
for "us.ibm.com".

When I make this request, I see a packet from my firewall of size 544.

There is a Cisco bug report, stating that the Pix doesn't follow RFC 2716,
and handles packets greater then 512 as buffer overflows..

However, what I am seeing, is not that the packet is being dropped.. Just
delayed.  When I use dig, the response time is anywhere from 5000 - 20000
msec.

1.  What have you done to get around the UDP 512 limitation?

2.  Has Cisco made any response to this?  Or is there any solution?

3.  I read in an earlier post, that IOS 6.2.1 fixed this problem, however
we are running 6.2.2 and are still seeing it.  If this was true, what did
they fix?  if anything, and does anyone have anymore info?

4.  Is anyone else seeing the same problem, and if so, does the mx for
us.ibm.com give you the same trouble?

Thanks for your help.

- Shawn