Microsoft Active Directory and bind serial numbers

Cricket Liu cricket at nxdomain.com
Tue Feb 4 18:32:57 UTC 2003

Steve Pfister wrote:
> Joe Kattner <joe at zosan.com> wrote in message
> news:<b1mp4f$efrf$1 at isrv4.isc.org>...
>> Use nsupdate to send your updates.
>
> Thanks...I'd forgotten about nsupdate, since all the rest of the zone
> files on the server except the one being dynamically updated are
> generated from a database.
>
> Now, I've gotten the updates made, but the serial number still stays
> exactly the same. The only way I could make it change was to stop bind
> and edit it by hand. nsupdate is supposed to increment it
> automatically, isn't it?

The name server increments the serial number automatically.
How are you checking that it's updated?  Are you looking at
the zone data file or sending a query using a query tool?  The
zone data file won't reflect the change right away; it'll be written
to the journal file but not to the zone data file.

cricket

The DNS and BIND Cookbook, now available!
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/dnsbindckbk/