Questin about zone file size

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Fri Dec 19 01:07:16 UTC 2003

In article <brsaco$1qp5$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 jeff donovan <jdonovan at beth.k12.pa.us> wrote:

> I appreciate the reply.
>
> how hard would it be to split up my 1 large zone into multiple smaller
> zones.
> how would I go about making things smaller?
> right now i have one master zone file "beth.k12.pa.us" with a million
> friggin entry's.
> would it change anything to my clients if i were to break that zones up
> like;
> school1.beth.k12.pa.us, school2.beth.k12.pa.us, etc...

The only issue with this is that users will have to type longer
hostnames.  Although if they mostly reference hosts in the same school
as they are, you can set it as their default domain suffix and they
won't have to type the long names in those cases.

Other than that, it's a fine way to organize your domain.  The clients
shouldn't care one way or another -- they're all just arbitrary names as
far as applications are concerned.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA