Mirroring DNS masters

AK aktrader2 at excite.com
Wed Aug 27 18:06:51 UTC 2003

Barry Finkel wrote:
> Peter H=E5kanson replied to a post:
>=20
>>If you study the pronciples of dns & bind you will see that it is=20
>>redundant technology.
>>
>>All that is needed is that whenever a master breaks down you can replac=
e it
>>within the lifetime of data ( which sets a limit to how short "expire" =
should be )

>>What you suggest is not needed and not wanted.=20
>=20
>=20
> Unless the master has DDNS zones, in which case the sysadmin would need=

> to get the master up and running in a shorter period of time.
> Barry S. Finkel
> Computing and Instrumentation Solutions Division
> Argonne National Laboratory          Phone:    +1 (630) 252-7277
> 9700 South Cass Avenue               Facsimile:+1 (630) 252-4601
> Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov
> Argonne, IL   60439-4828             IBMMAIL:  I1004994
>=20
>=20

As long as the party has the master's named.conf file, one would have to =

promote a slave server to be the new master.  The ease or difficulties=20
of this transition will depend on the mechanisms employed when the=20
master was operational.

As to the DDNS zones, the soa record needs to reflect the new master and =

all is good.  The time available for the transition is still controlled=20
by the expire clause of the SOA record.

AK