DNS + Qmail + Redhat9.0

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Tue Aug 26 00:02:02 UTC 2003

> I did the modification .....
> $TTL 38400
> @ IN SOA linux.sdc. fadi.sdc. (
> 1060775578
> 10800
> 3600
> 604800
> 38400 )
>
> IN NS linux.sdc.
> 55 IN PTR linux.sdc.

	I hope that the missing leading whitespace is a cut and
	paste error.  Otherwise you don't have a NS record for this
	zone.  You have created a subzone "IN.5.10.in-addr.arpa" which
	has a nameserver of "linux.sdc"

	Also you also has "5.10.in-addr.arpa." as the name of the zone.
	55.5.10.in-addr.arpa is not the same as 55.1.5.10.in-addr.arpa.

	The original zone was:

$ttl 38400
5.10.in-addr.arpa.      IN      SOA     linux.sdc. (
                        1060775578
                        10800
                        3600
                        604800
                        38400 )
5.10.in-addr.arpa.      IN      NS      linux.sdc.
55.1.5.10.in-addr.arpa. IN      PTR     linux.sdc.

	The corrected zone should have been:

$ttl 38400
5.10.in-addr.arpa.      IN      SOA     linux.sdc. fadi.sdc. (
                        1060775578
                        10800
                        3600
                        604800
                        38400 )
5.10.in-addr.arpa.      IN      NS      linux.sdc.
55.1.5.10.in-addr.arpa. IN      PTR     linux.sdc.

> ~
>
> but still facing problems
> I did some test via nslookup ... i think i still having problem
> my /etc/resolv.conf
> search sdc sdc
> nameserver 127.0.0.1
> #nameserver 10.5.1.55
> #domain sdc
> #domain go.com.jo
> #nameserver 196.27.0.29
> #nameserver 196.27.0.7

	From your original post.

$ttl 38400
sdc.    IN      SOA     linux.sdc. fadi.sdc. (
                        1060775512
                        10800
                        3600
                        604800
                        38400 )
sdc.    IN      NS      linux.sdc.
www.sdc.        IN      CNAME   linux.sdc.
sdc.    IN      MX      10 linux.sdc.
linux.sdc.      IN      A       10.5.1.55

	You have www.sdc not www.linux.sdc.

> [root at linux root]# nslookup mail.linux.sdc
> Note:  nslookup is deprecated and may be removed from future releases.
> Consider using the `dig' or `host' programs instead.  Run nslookup with
> the `-sil[ent]' option to prevent this message from appearing.
> Server:         127.0.0.1
> Address:        127.0.0.1#53
>
> ** server can't find mail.linux.sdc: NXDOMAIN

	You don't have a mail.linux.sdc.

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at isc.org