Setting up an internal network DNS server

Luke McCarthy luke.mccarthy at shaw.ca
Fri Aug 22 20:49:12 UTC 2003

In article <bi5lkl$i9j$1 at sf1.isc.org>, "NOSPAM" <games4h at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> I'd like to use my Linux box as a BIND server for my internal network.
> I'd like for users to be able to to access, say, server1 instead of
> 192.168.1.22 . I've searched through a ton of DNS documents but I can't
> find out how to do this specifically, all the docs I've found are
> focused on setting up servers for the rest of the world or for a network
> that already has a FQDN (which I do not). Could you give me some
> pointers on how to do this?

Here's a document that describes precisely how to do what you want (or at
least, it describes precisely how to do what I wanted, which sounds
exactly like what you want...)

The example domain used in this document is 'linux.bogus', but you should
be able to use anything that isn't actually valid (I've seen 'my.domain',
for example).  I suppose if you wanted to follow the RFC, you would use
.invalid as the name of your own little world.

	http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/DNS-HOWTO.html

Just FYI, if you want to be able to say 'server1' instead of
'server1.my.domain', your client machines need to be in that domain (one
of the lines 'domain my.domain' or 'search my.domain' should appear in
/etc/resolv.conf on the client machine)

Cheers,

Luke