Pls help...trouble resolving a particular domain

Stolen stolen at thecave.net
Sat Aug 16 14:16:28 UTC 2003

Elias wrote:

>***********************
>Your mail has been scanned by TMnet VirusWall.
>***********************
>
>BIND Gurus,
>
>I'm having problems resolving www.oum.edu.my from my nameservers. Apparently, there's no problem resolving this domain from other nameservers. Both the primary and secondary for this domain seems to be answering to my dig queries, but when my users query my nameserver, it can't resolve it.  Also, there doesn't seem to be any SOA or NS records on both the primary and secondary for this domain. Could this be the problem? I've contacted the admin for this domain and according to him, this is normal and in fact part of a limitation of the DNS package that he is using. I've done a packet trace and have noticed that none of my queries are being replied. I've also checked this with the admin for the domain and he has confirmed that there is no firewall or access list blocking our communication. Any ideas on where I can go next?
>
>Thanks!
>

>- Elias -

He does return an SOA record, that says the name server is ns.<domain>.
(ie, if you look up www.oum.edu.my, it returns ns.www.oum.edu.my. If you
lookup oum.edu.my, it returns ns.oum.edu.my)  These names do not seem to
resolve.  If your dns server picks up on these servers as the primary
name server and tries to use it, you will not be able to resolve the domain.

Seems like a broken way to handle SOA records to me.  However, I'm not
sure under what circumstances (if any) a name server would use the SOA
statement to figure out the name servers, so this may or may not be your
problem.

; <<>> DiG 9.2.2 <<>> soa www.oum.edu.my
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 2

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.oum.edu.my.                        IN      SOA

;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.oum.edu.my.         0       IN      SOA     ns.www.oum.edu.my.
admin.www.oum.edu.my. 1 300 300 300 300

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
oum.edu.my.             172616  IN      NS      dns1.oum.edu.my.
oum.edu.my.             172616  IN      NS      dns2.oum.edu.my.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
dns1.oum.edu.my.        172616  IN      A       202.185.23.4
dns2.oum.edu.my.        172616  IN      A       218.208.3.100

;; Query time: 263 msec
;; SERVER: 24.71.223.144#53(24.71.223.144)
;; WHEN: Sat Aug 16 08:12:45 2003
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 161

; <<>> DiG 9.2.2 <<>> ns.oum.edu.my. @dns1.oum.edu.my.
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;ns.oum.edu.my.                 IN      A

;; Query time: 271 msec
;; SERVER: 202.185.23.4#53(dns1.oum.edu.my.)
;; WHEN: Sat Aug 16 08:20:05 2003
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 31