name server vs client

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Thu Aug 14 02:23:46 UTC 2003

The DNS CLIENT that I think you are referring to is a Windows System
Service that Microsoft introduced in Windows 2000. It is supposed to
cache answers to lookups when resolving queries. I always turn it off
since that means that negative answers or bad answers take longer to
clean out. I believe that Sun originally implemented this scheme and
thought it was a good idea. If you are talking about Windows, the
addresses for the DNS servers to perform lookups are either in the
registry if it has a fixed address or they are supplied by the DHCP
server supplying it with a leased IP address. The "DNS CLIENT"
has nothing to do with it.

Danny