name server vs client

Julia Goolia juliagoolia301 at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 13 19:15:32 UTC 2003

johnathan,

thank you for your response!  allow me to clarify my question.  I have
DNS server running on a machine which has an IP that can be accessed
from the internet.  my understanding of the "DNS CLIENT" on that
machine is it indicates the proper DNS server to connect to when
resolving names on that machine (like if I did "telnet www.google.com"
then it would use the "DNS CLIENT" to resolve the "www.google.com"
address).  however, i would also like to be able to add zones and
records for domain names on the DNS SERVER running on that machine.
when queries arrive at that machine about these particular domains, I
want the DNS server to respond with the records I added, and NOT look
them up via the DNS client.

i'm think now (after your explanation) that the "DNS CLIENT" is quite
unrelated to this desired functionality.  somebody on the internet
will connect to port 53 of that machine and ask a query and get a
response... i don't think the server would then use the client to look
up the query... would it?  what about queries about zones that that
machine is not authoritative for... who does that machine ask after it
realized it is not authoratative for a particular query (i assumed
this is what the "DNS CLIENT" is for).

well i think there is a question in there somewhere...
cheers,
julia