Bind Server Problem

Dave Harman dharman1060 at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 10 02:40:05 UTC 2003

Hi List,
I run RedHat 9 and BIND 9.2.1-16

I am having a problem with the DNS server.

The first nameserver listed in RESOLV.CONF is 127.0.0.1
THe 2nd and third nameservers are the nameservers of SBC, who
provide the DSL connection I use.

If i comment out the 2nd and 3rd nameservers in the Resolv.conf and leave
only the 127.0.0.1, I can't resolve anything from the server. I get the same
result
if I use the server's private IP address instead of the loopback.

BUT If I uncomment the 2nd line with the IP of SBC's nameserver,
I can get DNS resolution.

In fact, if I shut off BIND, and leave the 2nd nameserver line in
resolv.conf
active, I can also get DNS resolution. This tells me my DNS server isn't
really doing anything.

Also, when I try to stop DNS through the script at /etc/rc.d/init.d
or the 'rndc stop' command, none of this works, I have to use
the kill command to stop.

Does anyone have any suggestions ?

Dave Harman